Week1 of the 30 minutes plan ends today. The plan came out of my frustration – for ignoring my writing, weeks and weeks of procrastination, over planning, perfectionism, and plain laziness. The plan was too simple – write! Well it didn’t work.
I then modified (a little bit) the simple plan – write 30 minutes a day (at least). The results were great!
The first week ends today and already the progress is excellent. I’m very happy with myself for having the discipline to churn out words everyday. Meanwhile my writing has entertained a few people.
Here are a few interesting numbers for comparison
|Time spent||30 min/day||1440 min/day||2%|
|Views by people||162||675||24%|
Words written : 1900+
This is just 1 week out of the 76 weeks since this blog started. That is just 1.3%
Spending just 2% of the time in a day, I’ve created 33% of value (posts) to add a quarter of the blog’s total visits. This happened in only 1 week of the 17 weeks since this blog started.
The power of a simple plan
1) Take it in small steps. Decide on a minimum time period and stick to it. I chose 30 minutes/Day. Remember that it will all add up.
2) Have discipline. Need not be writing at the same time everyday. Just put in your daily 30 minutes. Make a promise to yourself.
3) Do this for short bursts – 2 weeks. Then review the results. Pat yourself on the back and get motivated.
4) Break down a large project into chunks. I’ve done a long post in 2 days – 40 minutes everyday.
5) Track your numbers to celebrate progress. It’s fun to see the numbers. WordPress gave me all the stats I required for this post.
6) Have Fun 🙂
So if you enjoy writing, just start it. Please don’t waste time like I did (Only 5 posts in first 16 months). Maybe start with a 15 minute plan. Starting a blog is a 10 minute job. This plan applies to anything you want to do, but can’t find the time to do it.
Meanwhile, I’ll keep you “posted”.