Being a favorite adult for kids is simple. Just make them laugh all the time. I’m proud to become the “naughty anna” (anna means big brother) for my Uncle’s 4 year old and 7 year old daughters. Now, there are more official requests for my presence at dinner parties and house gatherings.
What’s the big deal about kids?
As long as there are children, humanity is saved. They bring grown men to their knees, trying to bring out a smile. When a baby cries, everything in a 30 meter radius has to stop and all the energies of the universe are directed towards stopping it. Their antics may seem silly enough, but you can’t stop laughing seeing that.
First Things First
If you want to become a hit with kids, immediately flush out your dignity and maturity. Get rid of your personality and then step into their world. A world of extreme imagination, hilarity, simple pleasures, loss of logic and boundless energy.
Think simple! Think Fun! What will make them squeal with delight, make their eyes wide or scare them?
A fish bowl!
The 7-year old immediately jumped with fear seeing the gold-fish in a plastic bag, while the 4-year old instantly kissed the plastic bags. They both loved the fish. Undoubtedly the best gift of the birthday party 🙂
Other small gifts you can try – bubble blower, things which make a sound, teddy bears, things which fly. Anything that is bright, weird or noisy is perfect for kids.
Running and screaming. These are your goals. Just do everything exactly opposite to a normal adult. Try entertainment which costs almost no money, anybody can spend money on fancy gifts.
Don’t take the easy route, think creatively..
1) Get them in a chair and push it around.
2) Startle them by jumping out of dark corners.
3) Lift them up like a sack of potatoes, with no warning and run around.
4) Magic tricks. Doesn’t matter if the tricks are stupid. The word ‘magic’ is enough to get their attention.
5) Take instant pictures with mobile phones and show them.
6) Dance with them and sing along.
7) Tickle them and let them tickle you.
8) Watch cartoons with them.
9) Take them around pets, to show how animals play around. Puppies are perfect for this.
10) Teach them to make funny faces.
This is just a start and it doesn’t end until they become, well..uh, US!
For the last year, my path has increasingly crossed with young children, a sign that I’m getting old. I’ve seen fascinating kids at my apartment, uncle’s place, railway station, overcrowded trains and empty highways. Each encounter is a story that when I think about it, brings a smile.
For now, I’ll leave you with pictures.